Sunday, August 20, 2006

So here I am in Lexington, Virginia at Washington & Lee University where I used to attend for undergrad. I drove my best friend Miri to Law School here for her final (3rd) year. It's such a blessing to be here and have fellowship with her, be with people my age, and meet her friends here and see that she's got a nice group. I've also managed to meet up with the Baldwins, a wonderful couple who really looked after us (spiritually, and homesick-wise) during out time at W&L. I've seen a few people and faculty that I knew, and while last week most of my former professors were away on holiday, I am hoping that on Monday they'll be back in town so I can see them. I didn't realize just how much I missed this place until I drove in last Tuesday and it felt like I was coming home. I lived here most of my summers doing research, so in a way it was home.

Being able to spend time with Miri has been so good for me, and being able to share my faith and personal struggles and pray over them with her has been such a blessing. For me I'd grown really lonely....and it's so nice to be with a friend who knows me at my weakest and still loves me! (Even though I can be a melodramatic baby sometimes -- right? hhmmmm -- for Miri's benefit) ; ) But I've enjoyed this little break of mine and I'm sad to be leaving in 2 days. I'm worried about the future and getting into a PhD program....I'm worried about being single at my age....I'm worried about finding a temporary job and a place to live....so that I can be independent as I was before Oxford and breaking my leg, and so my family doesn't have to make anymore financial sacrifices for me. I think I feel that burden the most. So it's been good to share this with Miri and pray over it and just trust that God is in control and that He does have plans to prosper me and not to harm me. I've been able to let go of a lot of the anger and frustration about my leg and redealing with my self esteem about it. So I'm getting back to my old self, or rather, returning to being Rachael, instead of "here I am, leg girl" : ) I need to learn how to rely on others rather than holding things inside me and trying to deal with them on my own. I think we can experience God's comfort and healing through others. So I'm glad it is with my best friend.

I miss my other friends too, and am trying to remember that the world is a lot smaller than me think, and I know that a day will come when I'll see them again. So, if you guys are reading this, I miss you all a lot, and think of you often.

No comments: