Tuesday, December 20, 2005

She thought she'd get her foot back, but who could've guessed she'd have gained more muscle than before, and therefore the leg would not fit!!! Her stump, though tender and highly sensitive, wasn't the problem, it was the pesky growth of muscle around her knee. The leg stopped 2 inches below her knee and wouldn't budge. Atleast she knows she can put her full weight on that leg.....as she resolutley and perhaps foolishly lifted her good leg in the air balancing only half inside her prosthesis, hoping to get it on all the way. Alas, even that foolhardy act didn't work. So she's already enacted Plan B: attempt the same with her old leg (yes, the yellow one!) that's hopefully still loose. ETA: Monday night, when family arrives with leg and clothing provisions, including necessary boots. She recalls those hair-raising ice events while simply crossing the street. She feels kinda like an old lady who's relatives have to hold her arm as she moves. ; ) Now I know why Nana keeps telling me she's an independent woman!

She had a bit of freedom going Christmas shopping in a wheelchair in the store. She could push herself no problem, as she has man's arms now....however...those girly notions of pretty long fingernails went out the door when she tried to stop suddenly when a little kid ran in front of her and she ripped two nails off. Let's just say that pain was worse than any in her stump today. Anyways, wow, could she finally go fast, however most of the store was not 'wheelchair friendly' -- but she did pretty good with her shopping. Nana and Auntie are all that's left. Hopefully tomorrow will see the shopping escapades done.

I'm so excited for my family coming up on the 26th. Though I'll miss Christmas with them, I'll sort of be with them in spirit. I'm going to cook a big Christmas breakfast for my Uncle's family, like I used to for mine. I baked two loaves of bread today: Pecan Swirl, and Apple-Walnut (yum!!!). Then it's a full breakfast with scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon and sausage. I think I am going to Catholic mass on Christmas Eve, my Auntie and Nana asked me to go with them. It should be interesting. Hopefully I won't make any mistakes (as I'm not Catholic, I don't know the routine). Another point of controversy is should I take Communion? Protestants believe you can take Communion if you believe in Jesus, however in the Catholic church, if you are Protestant you were not permitted or extremely discouraged from taking it. It's seen as a sin and an affront to practicing Catholics. My Nana makes me take it, but I feel weird. I'm not sure how my Aunt will feel if I do. I guess I should just outright ask her. We'll see.

Anyways, since I'm sure my brother doesn't read this blog, I have to share something hilarious!!! Most of you all are aware that Jared fails to remember birthday or Christmas presents, or if he does get me and Cait one, he either has Mom buy it and then put his name on it (without paying for it), or picks us up these hideous hair ties or scrunchies from the dollar store. Terrible, usually it's nothing or it's like our choice of a free sample from Bath & Body Works....anyways....Cait and I always got him very nice gifts, like his favourite expensive cologne, etc. This year....it's poetic justice.....oh yeah! Cait rocks and is so awesome. Even I couldn't think of this! She found these pore reducer machines at the dollar store, battery operated. They come in either blue, pink or white......muhahaha....guess what colour Jared's getting? PINK!!!!!!!! : ) : ) : ) Yes...ironic and poetically just.....an ugly, cheap-o, useless gift....finally, Cait and I are saying, "NO!" And since he's got a serious, steady girlfriend, he may actually buy us gifts. In fairness to him, one year, about 3 months late, he did give me a birthday gift: a t-shirt from San Diego zoo and a very nice ceramic picture frame from the same place, and Cait, just a 50 Cent shot-glass! hehe...so he tried with one of us.....but with twins, it's all or nothing....we come in the same package....I mean, who ever heard of twins having different birthdays?! Jared has consistently called me on either May 30, or June 1 for the last 3-4 years, while Cait gets a call on the day: May 29.

Oh well......brothers! what more can i say!? ; ) I just wish I was there for the look on his face! Oh yeah? Check this out:

1. Wrapping paper: 50 cents
2. Pink Pore Reducer: $1.00
3. Batteries: $2.00
4. Look on Jared's face when justice is served: Priceless!

1 comment:

Saranya said...

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you,Rach! Have a great 2006 - with more birth partnering, wiser choice in men and a visit to Oxford