Monday, December 12, 2005

Back from Maine. Oh, it was beautiful up there with the snow and the ocean. Hard to get around though with the crutches, but worth it none-the-less. The Bushes have their summer home there on Walker's Point. Wow. People were very friendly. The first place we stayed at, Village Cove Inn, was nice, kind of like a hotel and it was their last night open. We ate at the pub onsite and it was great (had a pint of Guiness, I might add!) ; ) and the bartender was from Ireland!!!! : ) Cool, and he was playing all of this Irish music I knew...sounded like Nana's actually, hehe. They were going to have karyoke, but alas no one else showed up and I was not about to put on a concert ; ) I've gotten shy about singing these days. Feel like I've lost the touch.

Anyways, the second place we stayed at was the English Meadows Inn. Oh, It was beautiful and exactly what I needed. We were in a suite in an old carriage house from 1860, and the bedding and decorations were all from the Victorian period, all antiques. Very British. Downstairs was a real fire place and we were the only ones in the whole place, so we got to explore all the room and have our own personal fire. So, I got a rocking chair and read some and wrote out a lot of Christmas cards (coming to you all soon!). If you haven't sent me your address, please do quick!!! I had my own twin size bed, with a down duvet and a goose-feather pad on the mattress. Oh wow. It was so warm and cozy! Then, in the morning, full English breakfast! Fresh coffee, mini-ginger scones, apple/pear compote with yogurt and homemade granola, then a three-cheese crustless quiche with orange slices, banana and pomegranate seeds! Wow....I was in heaven and fully stuffed. All served on British Christmas china. Complete with a cute cat named Tigger with the lovliest green eyes ever. It was a much needed dose of England...to be honest, it's almost like reverse culture shock in a way. Sometimes I feel so out of place here lately...and it just was a chance for me to feel at home. The owners had lived in London for a while themselves, so it was neat to swap stories with them. To hear, "Cheers!" and to be asked, "what did you read at University?" ; ) You know...

Also, I will soon be the proud Auntie of a puppy! Cait is going to get a puppy, she told me today. She's asked me to look after her when her residency starts in 2 years. So, I'll have to find my own place and get settled soon, but I couldn't say no! She said I could help name the dog, it's a girl and a black lab. She'll get her in January, but she's picking her out today. Will keep you posted on that development!! I'm excited. I think it'll be good for both of us...we had big holes in our hearts after losing Gussie. Plus, it's only fitting, because Cait took in Enoch, my gerbil and has been caring for him now for the past 2 years. ; )

I got a much needed dose of New England air, sea breeze, 17 inches of snow, and British hospitality. I'm feeling better, and looking forward to getting back on my feet, both figuratively and literally soon! I've been asked to think about singing for my family for Christmas...yikes! ; ) Let's see....trying to think of my favourite carol, and I have to say, I do love "O Holy Night." But I am always open to other songs!

O holy night, the stars are brightly shining;
It is the night of the dear Savior’s birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary soul rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees, O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born!
O night, divine, O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here came the wise men from Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus in lowly manger,
In all our trials born to be our Friend!
He knows our need—to our weakness is no stranger.
Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His Gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His Name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy Name!
Christ is the Lord! O praise His name forever!
His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!
His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!

No comments: