Friday, October 21, 2005

hi everyone! i am now in Boston where I'm being treated for my dislocated knee. it's looking good, thus far....well...yeah. so, the low-down is this: Wed saw the surgeon who had done my amputation, he said cast off, knee healing niclely and fitted me with a knee brace. Thurs: cranky, cranky day...started my physio (physical therapy)....ouch, aahhhh, booo..... :*( Didn't realize how weak my leg had become just being immobilized for 16 days, but jelly is the only word i can think of to describe it. the therapist asked me to contract my quad muscle....and i was like, "grrr..." and got this wimpy little blip of a contraction....so....am grit determined to work as hard as i can to get better. my therapist says i'll be dancing again by New Year's....let's hope so. I didn't realize how much of a long haul it would be.

Anyways, today is Friday, I'm writing from my Aunt and Uncle's computer while my cousin Ryan practices guitar. He's good guys!! : ) They live across the street from my Nana. Let me say, staying with your grandmother can be very dangerous for the mid-section....wow....and even though i tell her, "Nana, whew...i can't eat another bite"....she pulls out a cookie...or a pudding...or something and insists i eat it....yikes. I took a shower here, as they have a first floor bathroom....oh it was glorious....finally after 21 days with no shower....I am a new woman! ; ) YES!!! My Mom nearly had a heart attack helping me out these days with that and my home exercises from therapy. I have to do them 4 - 6 times a day....4 for now since i've just begun. they are the most simple things....laying with my leg elevated and lower leg supported, contracting my quad for 5 secs at a time....36 of those (but should be doing it thru out the day constantly)....then terminal extensions, where my leg hangs down at a bend, and i just lift my lower leg up and down....3 reps of 12...and who knew i'd be pooped after this! but last one is hamstring exercises, where i need help turning over onto my stomach and then a pillow goes under my quad, and then i bend my leg upwards.

Full knee rotation is 130 degrees....and i have right now...or thursday at evaluation....drum roll please, am impressive....huge number of ...... 40!!!!! :*( hehe....i was like, oh boy, by next week, let's double it....the therapist was like, "hold on there young lady...you work to the pain, not thru it!" let's see....am determined to get better....and now my stubborn streak is kicking in! See...i never felt disabled before....ever...with my prosthesis....and now I truly am....my 'foot's been taken away from me....i'm stuck.

I'll keep my progress posted....have two more sessions of home exercise to go! today is much better...for the last two days i was in a huge amount of pain, but today not so bad....i just over did it a bit doing the last set of exercises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can doooo eeet!!! :)